HomeAbout MoiMy EtsyDIYMy Studio

Sunday, May 9, 2010

To My Mother

This post is dedicated to my Mother….my inspiration…my guiding light…my friend…


~*~elementary school~*~

Who taught me all of the lessons in life I needed to not only be the mother I am today but “who" I am today. Who taught by example...not just words. Who not only allowed me to "march to the beat of a different drummer" but encouraged me to. Who showed us what selflessness is when, time after time, she put her own wishes and needs after her 5 children’s. Who spent countless hours crocheting in a waiting room while her four daughters took tap, jazz and ballet lessons. Who let us stay home from school on “recital day” to wrap our long, straight hair in strips of wet cotton and let us play in the sun as it dried our hair into long, beautiful ringlets.

~*~dancing mom~*~

Who never let us stay angry at each other for very long because “friends will come and go but your siblings will always be there for you…they will be your lifelong friends.” She was right. Who reassured us that being late bloomers was really a blessing and that all of the other girls were just “peaking too soon”… and they’d be “losing their bloom” just about the time we were really coming into our own…and that it would be worth the wait. She was right.

~*~high school~*~

Who made us smile again when some foolish boy was careless with one of our hearts. Who showed us determination when she went to college for the first time only after raising her children …seeing them all through college and watching them start lives of their own. Who became a kindergarten teacher and always started her morning sitting on the floor with her “smarty pants” and reading "Oh  The Places You WIll Go."

~*~high school graduation~*~

Who inspired us when she never left our father’s side as he faced the battle for his life. Who held his hand from the moment we heard the heart-wrenching diagnosis until the moment he became the angel who watches over us now. Who showed us strength when she picked up the pieces of all of our shattered hearts and helped us put them back together.

~*~mom and dad~*~

Who showed us faith by saying “it is not the life I want right now but it is the life God’s given me to live right now and so I will accept it.” Who showed us courage when she got her driver’s license at 70 years old.

My Mother...who continues everyday of her life to teach me about faith, strength, courage, determination and hope….

Happy Mother's Day Mom!
FFF...
I love you…
”Mickey”

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post Michelle!!!! Happy Mothers Day!!
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle this is the loveliest tribute to your Mom...thank you so much for sharing it with us!! I am all teary eyed ~ this is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do have a way with words, my friend. A very touching and inspiring post. The pictures are so sweet.

    Happy Mothers Day to you Michelle.

    Talk to you soon. :) Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and photos. Happy Mother's Day.
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! My mom has never had a driver's license so there is still hope. :) Lovely tribute to your mother. So inspiring! I also crochet when I am waiting for my kids to finish with their practices for sports and school activities. Have a great week ahead. :)Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michelle,
    What a beautiful post about your lovely Mom! She sounds just wonderful, and she is just as lucky to have you for her daughter as you are to have her as your mom.
    Have a great week.
    sincerely,
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely post. Your mom sounds like such an amazing inspiration and influence on your life. Love these images. ~ Angela

    ReplyDelete

Taking the time to share your thoughts...your words...and your inspiration fills my soul....Merci.
~*~Michelle~*~