HomeAbout MoiMy EtsyDIYMy Studio

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Divine Inspiration

Inspired by my petite collection of Holy Water Fonts.....



....I took some of these....
"escutcheons"


...and some of these....
"tart tins"


...and made these...

....my own version of Holy Water Fonts.

"Holy water is water that, in Catholicism, Anglicanism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Lutheranism, Oriental Orthodoxy, and some other churches, has been sanctified by a priest for the purpose of baptism; the blessing of persons, places, and objects; or as a means of repelling evil.[1][2]"




"Holy water is kept in the font, the church furnishing used for baptisms, which is typically located at the entrance to the church (or sometimes in a separate room or building called a baptistery); its location at the entrance serves as a reminder of the centrality of baptism as the primary rite of initiation into the Christian faith." 


"Smaller vessels, called stoups, are usually placed at the entrances of the church."


"Most Roman Catholic churches have stoups, or Holy water fonts to provide holy water in open fonts into which people dip their hands, and often make the sign of the cross."



"This use of holy water and making a sign of the cross when entering a church reflects a renewal of baptism, a cleansing of venial sin, as well as providing protection against evil.[13]" 



"It is sometimes accompanied by the following prayer:[14]
'By this Holy water and by your Precious Blood, wash away all my sins O Lord."



"In the Middle Ages the power of holy water was considered so great fonts had locked covers to prevent the theft of holy water for unauthorized magic practices: the Constitutions of Archbishop Edmund Rich (1236) prescribe that "Fonts are to be kept under lock and key, because of witchcraft (sortilegia). 


"Saint Teresa of Avila, a Doctor of the Church who reported visions of Jesus and Mary, was a strong believer in the power of holy water and wrote that she used it with success to repel evil and temptations.[19]"



She wrote:[20]
"I know by frequent experience that there is nothing which puts the devils to flight like Holy water."




 "In addition to being a strong force in repelling evil, holy water has the twofold benefit of providing grace for both body and soul.[21]"




Keeping those words in mind.....I've adorned mine with heavenly images from French Prayer Cards.

Each keyhole opening reveals a picture of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, a cross and the crown of thorns.



~*~SOLD~*~

Some are adorned with petite vintage rhinestone crosses....





~*~SOLD~*~


~*~SOLD~*~







Others with filigree...
~*~SOLD~*~

..."findings"....




.... and mother of pearl crosses.

I chose to leave some of the escutcheons as I found them...



...worn and well-loved.


~*~SOLD~*~












Some show evidence of years of use....

...rusty....


...shabby....


...chippy...

...but all of them.... 

...inspire a reverence to their "blessed purpose." 

Images from old tombstones....



...and the Sacred Heart...



....inspire prayers.... 

...sent heavenward....


...with great faith.


May they also provide YOU with....

..."grace for your body and soul."

(on the back of each one)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


My heavenly muse continued her divine inspiration when I stumbled upon THESE in my "stash"....


.....ornaments found at Pottery Barn at the end of last Xmas season.


I, again, used more of these....


...to create THESE.....



"Petite Ex Voto Fonts"



Adorned with crosses...

~*~SOLD~*~

...beads....




...and crowns.

~*~Sold~*~

Soon for sale in my ETSY shop. 
Available "On Reserve" upon request. 
(Prices will range from 18.00- 28.00)

These would also be lovely tea light candle sconces or a place to hold your rings and petits tresors.

~*~Merci~*~

28 comments:

  1. Oh Michelle, you are an amazing talent! These are so beautiful they bought tears to my eyes. I love each and every one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your creativity!! You inspire many of us with it!! Amazing!!! Have a beautiful and creative day....Chickie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been oohing and ahhing, these are so beautiful, Michelle. I've got my eye on so many of them...your talent never ceases to amaze me.

    Blessings to you this fine day, xo Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle,These are one of the loveliest things I've ever seen someone create! Just one of these in any room of the house would be a beautiful focal point! It's amazing that you have created such beauty! So inspiring....Best wishes, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle,
    Those are beautiful!!!! ~~~~LOVE~~~~~~<3
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Michelle......YOU, my friend, do inspire all of us!!! It is just that simple. (O:

    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet Michelle! You have created such exquisite loveliness! Each piece it's own petite masterpiece! I LOVE that you thought to spray the ex votos fonts white! I would never have thought of that! Simply inspired!!

    Always a joy, my friend!
    Hugs,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of the elements here are exquisite. I love all the beautiful differences in the details. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You don't know anyone who sells vintage tabletop dress forms like the ones in some of your pictures do you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness Michelle, these are just gorgeous! Only you could listen so carefully to Divine Inspiration and come up with something so beautiful. I love them all... t.xoxooxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. This Catholic girl LOVES this, the most original project I have seen in forever!! You thought of everything even the key hole....Great, great, job!!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who would think of this! They're beautiful and so touching. I'm amazed at your creativity... Wow!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Will they be in your Etsy shop soon, i went over to take a look and didn't see them?

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are all just gorgeous, Michelle! I love how you incorporated the tartlet tins. I know they won't last long in your shop:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are so beautiful, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So very creative ! I love it all :o) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Michelle, they are gorgeous, and so very lovely- I adore them and your idea, dearest. Looking so wonderful, they will be a beautiful tealight holder.
    You have the most amazing idea Michelle- and brings them wonderful to life.
    Hugs,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful creations Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Only you could do this Michelle-- only you have such inspirations that spring from your soul---

    They are exquisite-- totally beautiful!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  20. SOOOOOOO Creative Michelle!! I am constantly amazed at all of your cool ideas. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a creative idea!
    I love them all but I think I like the rusty ones the best.
    Luv, Luv,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  22. I see another SL article right here....love these!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my, how many times can I say gorgeous,Michelle??
    Love them.
    XO Marie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stunning! You come up with the most amazing ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Even though I´m not religious...I really like the way you used all the stuff. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Today I asked God (as I frequently do ) to show me what I need to see. He blessed me
    with your blog. I am so happy to have found you. Please tell me you have a shop and I can purchase some of these beautiful Holy Water Fonts.

    Your sister in Christ
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am truly touched by your beautiful words. truly. merci. this is the only way i can respond to you as you don't have a blog or email link on your profile page. so i hope you see it. yes...i have an ETSY shop and my Holy Water Fonts are for sale. Just click on the link on my sidebar. so nice to meet you! and "merci for warming my heart! ;)

      Delete

Taking the time to share your thoughts...your words...and your inspiration fills my soul....Merci.
~*~Michelle~*~